We’ve heard from many students that this will be their first time traveling alone or even their first time on a plane. We have gathered some practical advice to make your journey to NYU Washington, DC, as smooth as possible!
- Get luggage tags and put the NYU Washington, DC, address as contact information in case it is delayed. List a phone number of a close family member or friend in case the airline needs to get in touch about the delayed luggage.
- After you purchase your flight, check with your airline about how many bags you can check in, and the maximum weight of each bag. You don’t want to be asked to pay extra for too much luggage.
- Carry a small bag with your valuables and all essential items, including a toothbrush, medications, copies of your passport, credit/debit cards, flight confirmation, visa documents (if applicable), laptops/electronics and instructions on how to arrive to NYUDC (this will be sent over the summer). All containers with more than 3oz of liquid (shampoo, etc.) should be packed in your checked luggage.
- Arrive 3 hours before your flight. This will give you time to check in at the airline counter (there may be long lines!), check your luggage, go through security and get to your gate with plenty of time.
- Airplanes get cold- wear warm clothes on the flight, including socks!
- If you follow a special diet (vegetarian, halal, kosher, etc.) don’t forget to inform your airline ahead of time. Also take your favorite snacks- it’s no fun to get hangry on the plane!